Installation and Configuration
- 1 What do I need to compile Claws Mail?
- 2 How to build Claws Mail on Mac OS X?
- 3 How do I set up Claws Mail?
- 4 Why did the creation of the mailbox fail?
- 5 How do I create a new account?
- 7 Can I set up special addresses/ports for my mailserver / newsserver?
- 8 Does Claws Mail have options for threading messages?
- 9 Can I create multiple levels of subfolders to store mail?
- 10 How do I apply a patch after downloading it?
- 11 How do I compile in support for compface pictures?
- 12 How do I make my own compface image?
- 13 How can I make Claws Mail send my compface image in the mails?
- 14 How can I make Claws Mail send a colour Face image in the mails?
- 15 How can I tell my browser/newsclient/other program to use Claws Mail as e-mail program?
- 16 How do I enable GPG support in Claws Mail?
- 17 Mutt does not recognize Claws Mail's MH structure
- 18 How can I make Claws Mail notify me when new mail arrives?
- 19 Can I use a spell checker with Claws Mail?
- 20 I checked out the sources using cvs and cant find any configure script. What can I do?
- 21 Running "autogen.sh" gives errormessages that AM_PATH_GDK_PIXBUF or AM_PATH_(whatever) is not found. What can I do?
- 22 I dont want to compile in support for ... any longer, but after running configure, those libraries are still used. What can I do?
- 23 How can I select different applications to open with specific MIME types?
- 24 How can I change the suggested mimetype for attachments I am sending?
- 25 Why is the folder list not updated after I manually moved/copied folders?
- 26 How can I revert original settings, e.g. for fonts, keybindings, etc.?
- 27 What environment variables have effect on Claws Mail?
- 28 Why are special characters (e.g. umlauts) not displayed correctly?
- 29 How can I convert my old mailbox / addressbook from (some mailclient).
- 30 What configuration files are there, and what are they used for?
- 31 What's a good method for printing an e-mail?
- 32 Mail is not sent because the queue folder cannot be found?
- 33 What is the purpose of this bizarre "Enable Alternate Dictionary" option?
- 34 Why doesn't the spell checker have a more traditional user interface, like KMail, Evolution etc?
- 35 How do I make Claws Mail the default mail application for KDE?
- 36 Why does Claws Mail tell me that a gpg signature has expired?
- 37 Why does Claws Mail tell me that there is one unread message in some folders?
- 38 How can I use my free Hotmail, Yahoo, or AOL email account via Claws Mail?
- 39 Does Claws Mail work with Gmail accounts?
- 40 Claws Mail doesn't retrieve emails from my Gmail (POP3) account. Sending messages doesn't work either. What can I do?
- 41 Can I have different mailboxes for my accounts even though they aren't IMAP or News?
- 42 How can I permanently delete messages?
What do I need to compile Claws Mail?
- Any POSIX compliant UNIX or similar OS eg. Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac OS X
- GTK+ 2.6.x or later
- A recent ANSI C compiler (gcc 22.214.171.124 should also work)
Otherwise ./configure will fail.
- for X-Face support
- GnuPG 1.2.1 or later and GPGME 0.4.5 or later
- for GnuPG support
- GnuTLS 0.4.2 or later
- for SSL support
- libEtPan! 0.57 or later
- for IMAP4 support
- OpenLDAP 2.0.7 or later
- for LDAP support
- Enchant (and dictionaries)
- for spell-checker support
- for J-Pilot support
- for interprocess communication support
- Network Manager
- for support for detection of network connection changes
- GTK+ 2.10 or later or libgnomeprint 2.2 or later
- for extended printing support
- for SpamAssassin plugin support
- for Dillo HTML viewer plugin support
- for Bogofilter plugin support
How to build Claws Mail on Mac OS X?
The steps to build Claws Mail on Mac OS X have been originally posted by Damien Krotkine, see his dedicated page (http://damien.krotkine.com/claws/) and his former post to his blog (http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/dams/2007/05/05/compile_claws_mail_on_mac_os_x). The procedure below is based on his work.
Compiling against X.org
Install Fink (http://www.finkproject.org/).
Download and unpack the Claws Mail sources.
./configure --prefix=/sw to quickly see what packages are missing, and install them using Fink (
FinkCommander). Some of the required packages are available in unstable only, so you might need to enable unstable packages in the Fink prefs, then do
fink selfupdate scanpackages. You'll need a complete gcc/make toolchain as well as few extra requirements:
% ./configure --prefix=/sw && make && sudo make install
cpan (see http://developer.apple.com/server/fighting_spam.html) or from the sources.
Now configure the sources:
% ./configure --prefix=/sw --disable-trayicon-plugin
./configure runs well, it should output something like this:
Now let's build Claws Mail:
And install it:
% sudo make install
startx, and now from within a
The following plugins can't be used yet:
Commands to build and install a plugin:
% ./configure --prefix=/sw && sudo make install
How do I set up Claws Mail?
Why did the creation of the mailbox fail?
How do I create a new account?
You can add an account by using the menu item '/Configuration/Create new account'
Can I set up special addresses/ports for my mailserver / newsserver?
Does Claws Mail have options for threading messages?
Can I create multiple levels of subfolders to store mail?
Absolutely. This is no problem.
How do I apply a patch after downloading it?
Copy patch to Claws Mail directory Apply the patch:
% patch -p0 < some.patch
Or, if it's gzipped:
% gzip -dc some.patch.gz | patch -p0
./autogen.sh [OPTIONS], then
How do I compile in support for compface pictures?
How do I make my own compface image?
Or, if that doesn't work.
2. Convert it to pbm without dither (this also makes it black and white: convert -dither image.png image.pbm
3. Convert the pbm to icon: pbmtoicon image.pbm > image.icon
4. Edit the icon file in a text editor. Delete any comment at the beginning, and put the values in colums of three with comma separation like so:
0xfoo, 0xfoo, 0xfoo,
5. The final line shouldn't have a comma ending it
0xfoo, 0xfoo, 0xfoo
7. Run compface on it: compface <image.icon> image.xface
8. Then follow the instructions below.
Or you can take the super easy way out and just use this website:
How can I make Claws Mail send my compface image in the mails?
In the Configuration menu, Preferences for current account, Send tab, check Add user-defined header and press Edit button. A dialog appears, add a header named "X-Face" and fill the value field with your face data. Alternatively, you can select a .xbm file in this dialog. Note that if you paste the data from a terminal into the field some spurious newlines can be added, and these can mangle your face, be careful.
How can I make Claws Mail send a colour Face image in the mails?
Once you have your .png file that complies to the specs of the Face header (max length 725 bytes), go in the Configuration menu, Preferences for current account, Send tab, check Add user-defined header and press Edit button. A dialog appears, add a header named "Face" and click the "From file" button then select your .png file.
How can I tell my browser/newsclient/other program to use Claws Mail as e-mail program?
In the settings part of the program, use
claws-mail --compose "%t?subject=%s&body=%d"
- Specific options for typical browsers
Enter 'about:config' in the address bar. Add or Edit the following values:
claws-mail --compose mailto:%t?subject=%s
claws-mail --compose "mailto:%t?subject=%s&body=%d"
How do I enable GPG support in Claws Mail?
GunPG support requires GnuPG >= 0.4.x and GPGME >= 1.x.x.
Mutt does not recognize Claws Mail's MH structure
touch command in every MH folder.
touch the file
.xmhcache and Mutt should do just fine.
How can I make Claws Mail notify me when new mail arrives?
Can I use a spell checker with Claws Mail?
Install Aspell >= 0.50 and use the
I checked out the sources using cvs and cant find any configure script. What can I do?
- Yeah, but the latest features from cvs really look sexy...
./autogen.sh. Building from CVS requires a lot of extra dependencies that the release tarballs don't have, as an easier alternative, consider using the daily CVS snapshot instead, available from http://www.claws-mail.org/cvs.php.
ac/missing directory. Try to copy them into the
ac directory and run
If there are still some .m4 files not found (e.g. those from Gtk), try to run
% locate m4 | less
% locate aclocal | less
aclocal -I ac \
aclocal -I ac -I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal \
and run it again.
I dont want to compile in support for ... any longer, but after running
configure, those libraries are still used. What can I do?
config.cache file and run
configure again. You should also use
make clean to avoid undefined references.
How can I select different applications to open with specific MIME types?
The MIME-type->application associations are kept in
How can I change the suggested mimetype for attachments I am sending?
/etc/mime.types, depending on your system.
Right-click an attachment in the compose window's "Attachments" tab, and select Properties to change the MIME-type.
Why is the folder list not updated after I manually moved/copied folders?
How can I revert original settings, e.g. for fonts, keybindings, etc.?
$HOME/.claws-mail/clawsrc and creates default entries, if none are found. So the easiest way is to quit claws-mail, temporarily renaming your
$HOME/.claws-mail e.g. to
*.bak and restarting claws-mail in order to get default entries.
What environment variables have effect on Claws Mail?
- Here are the most common variables
- location of .claws-mail (config directory) and default folder for Mailboxes.
- locale settings, e.g. language and date format.
Why are special characters (e.g. umlauts) not displayed correctly?
How can I convert my old mailbox / addressbook from (some mailclient).
In the source distribution, you can find some scripts in the
tools subdirectory, maybe your application is supported. You can also try to export your old mailbox to
mbox format. If the mailbox is in
mbox format, it can be imported: File -> Import mbox file...
For the addressbook, direct import is supported for Mutt and Pine, but also LDIF, which is a standard format which most email clients can export to.
Tip: Take a look at the "harvest addresses" function from the
Tools menu, it could be a useful alternative or addition, when importing your old contacts.
What configuration files are there, and what are they used for?
$HOME/.claws-mail/. (The command '
claws-mail --config-dir' shows the location.) They are in plain text format and quite easy to understand, so don't fear to take a look into them using a text editor.
- settings for POP/IMAP/NNTP/local accounts
- user defined actions
- user defined header lines
- headers to display above the mail body
- folder specific settings
- additional folder specific settings, e.g. hiding read messages, sort order, etc.
- filtering, processing and scoring settings
- Key bindings
- contents of your address book (before version 3.1.0 the address book files were kept directly in
What's a good method for printing an e-mail?
enscript %s to print everything on one page, or
enscript -U2 %s for printing two logical pages on one physical page.
muttprint -f %s
Using KDE or gv you also get a "print preview" for free!
muttprint -f %s -p - |kghostview - or
muttprint -f %s -p - |gv - respectively... BTW: muttprint, like enscript, may optionally print two logical pages on one physical page. Just have a look at the docs!
Mail is not sent because the queue folder cannot be found?
(From the old bug tracker): Claws Mail requires a queue folder. This was changed to prevent message losses, if Claws Mail is killed while sending. Create a local folder (/File/Add Mailbox.../MH) for the queue and sending should work. I would not suggest to use the imap server for this purpose because Claws Mail's queue messages have a special header that can not be handled correctly by the imap server, when the data for the summaryview is queried.
If you really want to create a queueing folder in an IMAP server, you just have to create an ordinary folder in it, and then edit folderlist.xml file in Claws Mail's configuration directory. In this file, you will find a "folderitem" tag, with its "name" attribute set to the IMAP folder name you just created for queueing. You should edit this tag, and set its "type" attribute set to "queue". Note that this "folderitem" you're looking that will be a child of an "folder" tag that has its "type" attribute set to "imap".
What is the purpose of this bizarre "Enable Alternate Dictionary" option?
Why doesn't the spell checker have a more traditional user interface, like KMail, Evolution etc?
If you prefer checking while you type, just bind the <Spelling/Check backwards misspelled word> and <Spelling/Forward to next misspelled word> to two quick keyboard short cuts. Then, as soon as you mistype a word, call the <Check backwards...> short-cut ---you do not need to move the cursor--- and without using the mouse select the suggestion. As GNU/Aspell does a good job at suggesting a replacement, you will often end to type <a>, and as the cursor did not move, just continue typing. In contrast, the other option, <Forward to next...> does move the cursor. This is because if you have text after the cursor, that also means in general that you are only editing a message, and not writing it, so advancing the cursor to the misspelled word is in general the wanted behaviour.
How do I make Claws Mail the default mail application for KDE?
If your binary has a name other than "claws-mail", you must append another parameter:
where /usr/bin/claws-mail is the full path to claws-mail on your system.
claws-mail --compose "~mailto:%t?cc=%c&bcc=%b&subject=%s&body=%B" --attach "%A"
Replace "claws-mail" with the actual name of your binary here as well.
Why does Claws Mail tell me that a gpg signature has expired?
Why does Claws Mail tell me that there is one unread message in some folders?
How can I use my free Hotmail, Yahoo, or AOL email account via Claws Mail?
localhost and set the port to use to
2000 in the Advanced tab. The username to use consists of a complete email address, like
firstname.lastname@example.org, so that FreePOP can know which type of account it is. For more information, see FreePOPs' user manual.
Does Claws Mail work with Gmail accounts?
Yes, provided that you have enabled POP or IMAP access in your Gmail account.
Can I have different mailboxes for my accounts even though they aren't IMAP or News?
Yes, you can.
Use File -> Add mailbox -> MH
How can I permanently delete messages?
- Delete menu
- Trash subfolder