Installation and Configuration
- 1 What do I need to compile Claws Mail?
- 2 How do I set up Claws Mail?
- 3 Why did the creation of the mailbox fail?
- 4 How do I create a new account?
- 5 Why does Claws Mail not delete my mails when I press "delete"? I set a filter, and Claws Mail does not filter. I moved a mail to a different mailbox and it did not move.
- 6 Can I set up special addresses/ports for my mailserver / newsserver?
- 7 Does Claws Mail have options for threading messages?
- 8 Can I create multiple levels of subfolders to store mail?
- 9 How do I apply a patch after downloading it?
- 10 How do I compile in support for compface pictures?
- 11 How do I make my own compface image?
- 12 How can I make Claws Mail send my compface image in the mails?
- 13 How can I make Claws Mail send a colour Face image in the mails?
- 14 How can I tell my browser/newsclient/other program to use Claws Mail as e-mail program?
- 15 How do I enable GPG support in Claws Mail?
- 16 Mutt does not recognize Claws Mail's MH structure
- 17 How can I make Claws Mail notify me when new mail arrives?
- 18 Can I use a spell checker with Claws Mail?
- 19 I checked out the sources using cvs and cant find any configure script. What can I do?
- 20 Running "autogen.sh" gives errormessages that AM_PATH_GDK_PIXBUF or AM_PATH_(whatever) is not found. What can I do?
- 21 I dont want to compile in support for ... any longer, but after running configure, those libraries are still used. What can I do?
- 22 How can I select different applications to open with specific MIME types?
- 23 How can I change the suggested mimetype for attachments I am sending?
- 24 Why is the folder list not updated after I manually moved/copied folders?
- 25 How can I revert original settings, e.g. for fonts, keybindings, etc.?
- 26 What environment variables have effect on Claws Mail?
- 27 Why are special characters (e.g. umlauts) not displayed correctly?
- 28 How can I convert my old mailbox / addressbook from (some mailclient).
- 29 What config files are there, and what are they used for?
- 30 What's a good method for printing an e-mail?
- 31 Mail is not sent because the queue folder cannot be found?
- 32 What is the purpose of this bizarre "Enable Alternate Dictionary" option?
- 33 (Tips & Tricks) Why doesn't the spell checker have a more traditional user interface, like KMail, Evolution etc?
- 34 How do I make Claws Mail the default mail application for KDE?
- 35 Why does Claws Mail tell me that a gpg signature has expired?
- 36 Why does Claws Mail tell me that there is one unread message in some folders?
- 37 How can I use my free Hotmail, Yahoo, or AOL email account via Claws Mail?
- 38 Does Claws Mail work with Gmail accounts?
- 39 Claws Mail doesn't retrieve emails from my Gmail (POP3) account. Sending messages doesn't work either. What can I do?
What do I need to compile Claws Mail?
- Any POSIX compliant UNIX or similar OS eg. Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris
- GTK+ 2.6.x or later
- A recent ANSI C compiler (gcc 22.214.171.124 should also work)
Otherwise ./configure will fail.
- for X-Face support
- GnuPG 1.2.1 or later and GPGME 0.4.5 or later
- for GnuPG support
- for SSL support
- libEtPan! 0.48 or later
- for IMAP4 support
- OpenLDAP 2.0.7 or later
- for LDAP support
- Aspell 0.50 or later (and dictionaries)
- for spell-checker support
- libgnomeprint-2.2 and libgnomeprintui-2.2
- for extended printer support
- for J-Pilot support
- for SpamAssassin plugin support
- Clam AntiVirus
- for Clam AntiVirus plugin support
- for Dillo HTML viewer plugin support
- for Bogofilter plugin support
How do I set up Claws Mail?
When you run Claws Mail for the first time, the Installation Wizard will appear and prompt you for the minimum required information necessary to start using Claws Mail in less than 5 minutes.
Why did the creation of the mailbox fail?
Claws Mail reports such an error if it can't create the default mailboxes (inbox, outbox, etc ...). This can be because <homedir>/Mail already contains files with the same names. This occurs when switching from Kmail to Claws Mail, in this case backup and remove the existing Mail directory or use another name for the Claws Mail mail directory.
How do I create a new account?
You can add an account by using the menu item '/Configuration/Create new account'
Why does Claws Mail not delete my mails when I press "delete"? I set a filter, and Claws Mail does not filter. I moved a mail to a different mailbox and it did not move.
You have the configuration option 'Execute immediately when moving or deleting messages' on the /Configuration/Preferences/Display/Summaries page disabled.
Can I set up special addresses/ports for my mailserver / newsserver?
Yes, you can. In the Account preferences, on the 'Advanced' tab you can specify the port addresses that you want to use.
Does Claws Mail have options for threading messages?
Yes. You can switch it on and off in the View Menu, just select "Thread View" or press Ctrl+T. (This only affects the currently selected folder; i.e. it is a folder property.)
Can I create multiple levels of subfolders to store mail?
Absolutely. This is no problem.
How do I apply a patch after downloading it?
Copy patch to Claws Mail directory Apply the patch:
% patch -p0 < some.patch
Or, if it's gzipped:
% gzip -dc some.patch.gz | patch -p0
Run =./autogen.sh=, remove the generated =/config.cache= file (unless you want to install in prefix /usr/local). Run =./configure= with the appropriate options and then make. (Text as found on the Sylpheed patch page.)
How do I compile in support for compface pictures?
You have to have a package called libcompface installed, so this is available for compiling into Claws Mail. You can find out more and download it at http://freshmeat.net/projects/compface/ . Also, Tim Jackson has a spec file, which you can use to build an RPM of compface, at http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/rpms.php .
How do I make my own compface image?
You can use the gif2xface.pl script, which converts a 48x48 gif to the format suitable for compface. This script can be found in the 'tools' directory, along with a README. It is also available from this site: http://www.claws-mail.org/tools.php. You can also let Claws Mail create it by itself from a .xbm file.
How can I make Claws Mail send my compface image in the mails?
In the Configuration menu, Preferences for current account, Send tab, check Add user-defined header and press Edit button. A dialog appears, add a header named "X-Face" and fill the value field with your face data. Alternatively, you can select a .xbm file in this dialog. Note that if you paste the data from a terminal into the field some spurious newlines can be added, and these can mangle your face, be careful.
How can I make Claws Mail send a colour Face image in the mails?
Face headers contain base64-encoded 48x48 PNG image, and don't have any external dependency at compile-time or at run-time. You'll find more details here: http://quimby.gnus.org/circus/face/
Once you have your .png file that complies to the specs of the Face header (max length 725 bytes), go in the Configuration menu, Preferences for current account, Send tab, check Add user-defined header and press Edit button. A dialog appears, add a header named "Face" and click the "From file" button then select your .png file.
Note: there's nothing that prevents you from having both a X-Face (see previous FAQ entry) and a Face header in your mails.
How can I tell my browser/newsclient/other program to use Claws Mail as e-mail program?
In the settings part of the program, use
claws-mail --compose "%t?subject=%s&body=%d"
- Specific options for typical browsers
claws-mail --compose mailto:%t?subject=%s
claws-mail --compose "mailto:%t?subject=%s&body=%d"
How do I enable GPG support in Claws Mail?
GunPG support requires GnuPG >= 0.4.x and GPGME >= 1.x.x.
You need to load the PGP/Core, PGP/MIME, and PGP/inline plugins. '/Configuration/Plugins/Load plugin'.
Mutt does not recognize Claws Mail's MH structure
For this to work you need to use the
touch command in every MH folder.
touch the file
.xmhcache and Mutt should do just fine.
How can I make Claws Mail notify me when new mail arrives?
Go to '/Configuration/Preferences/Common', on the 'Receive' tab use the settings for 'Run command when new mail arrives'. You can also use the Trayicon (which is shipped with Claws Mail) or Acpi-notifier or Notification plugins, which are available on the Plugins page.
Can I use a spell checker with Claws Mail?
Install Aspell >= 0.50 and use the
I checked out the sources using cvs and cant find any configure script. What can I do?
The cvs versions are meant to be used by developers rather than normal users, so the source (or binary) distributions are easier to use.
- Yeah, but the latest features from cvs really look sexy...
You need to generate the configure script by running
./autogen.sh. Be sure to have autoconf and automake packages installed for this.
Running "autogen.sh" gives errormessages that AM_PATH_GDK_PIXBUF or AM_PATH_(whatever) is not found. What can I do?
There are some *.m4 files in the
ac/missing directory. Try to copy them into the
ac directory and run
If there are still some .m4 files not found (e.g. those from Gtk), try to run
% locate m4 | less
% locate aclocal | less
to find additional directories containing those macros. If you find e.g. a "gtk.m4" in "/opt/gnome/share/aclocal", change following line in "autogen.sh" from
aclocal -I ac \
aclocal -I ac -I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal \
and run it again.
I dont want to compile in support for ... any longer, but after running
configure, those libraries are still used. What can I do?
config.cache file and run
configure again. You should also use
make clean to avoid undefined references.
How can I select different applications to open with specific MIME types?
The MIME-type->application associations are kept in
How can I change the suggested mimetype for attachments I am sending?
The extension->MIME-type associations are kept in
Right-click an attachment in the compose window's "Attachments" tab, and select Properties to change the MIME-type.
Why is the folder list not updated after I manually moved/copied folders?
You need to update Claws Mail's cache. Right click on the mailbox and choose "Check for new folders".
How can I revert original settings, e.g. for fonts, keybindings, etc.?
Claws Mail keeps its configuration files in
$HOME/.claws-mail/clawsrc and creates default entries, if none are found. So the easiest way is to quit claws-mail, temporarily renaming your
$HOME/.claws-mail e.g. to
*.bak and restarting claws-mail in order to get default entries.
What environment variables have effect on Claws Mail?
- Here are the most common variables
- location of .claws-mail (config directory) and default folder for Mailboxes.
- locale settings, e.g. language and date format.
Why are special characters (e.g. umlauts) not displayed correctly?
In most cases, this is caused by emails with broken encodings. You can try to force it using the View/Character Encoding submenu.
How can I convert my old mailbox / addressbook from (some mailclient).
In the source distribution, you can find some scripts in the
tools subdirectory, maybe your application is supported. You can also try to export your old mailbox to
mbox format. If the mailbox is in
mbox format, it can be imported: File -> Import mbox file...
For the addressbook, direct import is supported for Mutt and Pine, but also LDIF, which is a standard format which most email clients can export to.
Tip: Take a look at the "harvest addresses" function from the
Tools menu, it could be a useful alternative or addition, when importing your old contacts.
What config files are there, and what are they used for?
Claws Mail's config files can be found in
$HOME/.claws-mail. They are in plain text format and quite easy to understand, so dont fear to take a look into them using a texteditor.
- main configuration: nearly all options from the settings window, e.g. mailbox location, font entries, etc.
- settings for pop/imap/nntp accounts
- user defined actions
- contains user defined header lines
- headers to display above the mail body
- traditional filter settings
- folder specific settings, e.g. default outbox
- new filtering and scoring settings
- Key bindings
- contents of your addressbook
- additional folder specific settings, e.g. hiding read messages, sort order, etc.
What's a good method for printing an e-mail?
Most precompiled packages will use the libgnomeprintui library, which will allow you to print your emails simply with the same interface as Gnome apps. It will be compiled in if you have libgnomeprint-dev and libgnomeprintui-dev packages installed.
If Claws Mail hasn't been compiled with libgnomeprintui support, you can use enscript. Use
enscript %s to print everything on one page, or
enscript -U2 %s for printing two logical pages on one physical page.
As a more pretty alternative: Use muttprint. The print-command would then look something like this:
muttprint -f %s
Using KDE or gv you also get a "print preview" for free!
muttprint -f %s -p - |kghostview - or
muttprint -f %s -p - |gv - respectively... BTW: muttprint, like enscript, may optionally print two logical pages on one physical page. Just have a look at the docs!
Mail is not sent because the queue folder cannot be found?
(From the old bug tracker): Claws Mail requires a queue folder. This was changed to prevent message losses, if Claws Mail is killed while sending. Create a local folder (/File/Add Mailbox.../MH) for the queue and sending should work. I would not suggest to use the imap server for this purpose because sylpheeds queue messages have a special header that can not be handled correctly by the imap server, when the data for the summaryview is queried.
If you really want to create a queueing folder in an IMAP server, you just have to create an ordinary folder in it, and then edit folderlist.xml file in Claws Mail's configuration directory. In this file, you will find a "folderitem" tag, with its "name" attribute set to the IMAP folder name you just created for queueing. You should edit this tag, and set its "type" attribute set to "queue". Note that this "folderitem" you're looking that will be a child of an "folder" tag that has its "type" attribute set to "imap".
What is the purpose of this bizarre "Enable Alternate Dictionary" option?
It is useful only if you routinely compose messages that use two or more languages. If this option is enabled, then when you switch to another language, the last one you used is not swapped out from memory, thus, when you switch again to it, there is no delay. Moreover, whenever you use two dictionaries, if you check a word and if the spell checker considers it misspelled in the current language, you can switch to the alternate language and recheck the word in one operation by selecting the "Check with ALTERNATE_LANGUAGE" item (keyboard short-cut: <x>) in the suggestions menu. This is very handy when the message contains paragraphs in two languages.
(Tips & Tricks) Why doesn't the spell checker have a more traditional user interface, like KMail, Evolution etc?
Because the developer (Melvin Hadasht) noted that by using the keyboard shortcuts the spell checking can be done faster while typing (more on that below). Moreover, there is the option <Spelling/Check All or Check selection> allows to do a spell checking of the whole text or just a selection. Just keep an eye where the suggestions menu shows up to look at the misspelled word, then hit one of the letters corresponding to the suggestion (<a> through <p>, press also <ALT> to make the selected suggestion listed as the first suggestion the next time you do exactly the same mistake --- this is the "learn by mistake" feature), or hit <r> to type a replacement, or hit <ALT-SPACE> to accept the word in the current message, or hit <ALT-RETURN> to accept the word and to add it definitively to your personal dictionary associated to this language. If you have enabled the "Alternate Dictionary", you can switch to it by hitting <x>.
If you prefer checking while you type, just bind the <Spelling/Check backwards misspelled word> and <Spelling/Forward to next misspelled word> to two quick keyboard short cuts. Then, as soon as you mistype a word, call the <Check backwards...> short-cut ---you do not need to move the cursor--- and without using the mouse select the suggestion. As GNU/Aspell does a good job at suggesting a replacement, you will often end to type <a>, and as the cursor did not move, just continue typing. In contrast, the other option, <Forward to next...> does move the cursor. This is because if you have text after the cursor, that also means in general that you are only editing a message, and not writing it, so advancing the cursor to the misspelled word is in general the wanted behaviour.
How do I make Claws Mail the default mail application for KDE?
wget http://www.claws-mail.org/tools/claws-mail-compose.pl mv claws-mail-compose.pl /usr/local/bin chmod +x /usr/local/bin/claws-mail-compose.pl
Then go to the KDE Control Center -> KDE Components -> Component Chooser -> Email Client, choose "Use a different email client" and enter the following into the textbox:
/usr/local/bin/claws-mail-compose.pl --to="%t" --cc="%c" --bcc="%b" --subject="%s" --body="%B" --attach="%A"
If your binary has a name other than "claws-mail", you must append another parameter:
where /usr/bin/claws-mail is the full path to claws-mail on your system.
In case you don't want that perlscript or you can't use it - there is this alternative. But be aware that passing multiple lines or non-standard characters to Claws Mail from an application (e.g. konqueror trying to send form-data via email) will not work!
claws-mail --compose "~mailto:%t?cc=%c&bcc=%b&subject=%s&body=%B" --attach "%A"
Replace "claws-mail" with the actual name of your binary here as well.
Why does Claws Mail tell me that a gpg signature has expired?
- The sender used a key with a time limit, you have to update your keyring regularly to receive the updated signatures, e.g. like this
Note: Most keyservers have problems syncing OpenPGP type keys (see http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/keyserver.html). It is recommended to switch to SKS keyservers, e.g. subkeys.pgp.net or sks.keyserver.penguin.de .
Why does Claws Mail tell me that there is one unread message in some folders?
- When the number behind some folder tells you that you have one unread message but all are marked as read you have to do the following
- Right click on toplevel MH folder and use "Check for new messages", or use '/View/Update Summary'
How can I use my free Hotmail, Yahoo, or AOL email account via Claws Mail?
FreePOPs should allow you to create kind of a "bridge" between these proprietary email services and Claws Mail. Simply install FreePOPs, which is probably packaged in your distribution and configure it. After that, you can add an POP3 account to Claws Mail, which receiving server will be
localhost and set the port to use to
2000 in the Advanced tab. The username to use consists of a complete email address, like
firstname.lastname@example.org, so that FreePOP can know which type of account it is. For more information, see FreePOPs' user manual.
Does Claws Mail work with Gmail accounts?
Yes, provided that you have enabled POP access in your Gmail account.
Claws Mail doesn't retrieve emails from my Gmail (POP3) account. Sending messages doesn't work either. What can I do?
Try prefixing your user name, which is usually your email address, with 'recent:' (without the quotes).
Also make sure that under the 'Send' tab of your Claws Mail Account settings , the 'Authenticate with POP3 before sending' option is turned off.
Finally, be aware that if the 'Remove messages on server when received' option is set in the 'Receive' tab of your Claws Mail Account, when you retrieve your messages they will be removed from the Gmail 'All emails' folder and they won't be available anymore from the Gmail web interface.