Difference between revisions of "Translator's Information"
m (added an example of Plural-Forms usage)
m (better description of the example)
|Line 131:||Line 131:|
:: Here is an example of
:: Here is an example of Plural-Forms :
Revision as of 09:17, 7 February 2007
The Release Process
- The Claws Team sets a date for release, at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Week One: CVS feature freeze
- No new features are added to CVS, the Team try to fix as many outstanding bugs as possible, test new features thoroughly, and improve any translatable strings as is deemed necessary.
- A message announcing the forthcoming release is sent to the translators' mailing list.
- Week Two: CVS string freeze
- No new features are added and no translatable strings are changed or added.
- During this second week, translators should update their local CVS trees and work on updating their translations. For those translators who are unable to build from CVS, up to date POT files are made available for download at http://www.claws-mail.org/i18n/.
- Whan a translator has updated his/her translations they should be sent to Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time before the week is up. They will then be committed to CVS and included in the release.
- Week Three: The release
- The release will be made on Day One of Week Three.
- Week One: CVS feature freeze
- Bug-Fix Releases
- The Claws Team occasionally feels the need to make bug-fix releases. These are normally indicated by an increment of the MICRO_VERSION, (e.g. from version 2.7.0 to 2.7.1). The bug-fix releases contain none of the new features that have been added to CVS since the last major release, and they also do not contain any new translatable strings that may have been added to CVS. Therefore no translation updates are required for these releases and, consequently, the usual process, detailed above, is not initiated.
Information for new translators
First grab yourself a copy of the Claws Mail sources, preferably from CVS, and create a claws-mail.pot file:
- cd po
- make claws-mail.pot
If you are not able to build from CVS, then get a copy of the last released sources from the SourceForge Claws-Mail files page, which has the claws-mail.pot file included.
Copy claws-mail.pot to [LANGUAGE ABBREV].po, (replace [LANGUAGE ABBREV] with the correct abbreviation for your language, e.g. 'is' if you are tranlating into Icelandic).
- cp claws-mail.pot is.po
Open your new po file with your favourite text editor, (or you may prefer to use a translation catalog editor, such as poedit or kbabel, for example), and first edit the the header section of your file. You will need to replace the text in UPPERCASE with the correct values. The easiest way to work out how to do this is to compare it to another po file that already exists:
|your new po file||es.po|
# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE. # Copyright (C) YEAR The Claws Mail Team # FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL@ADDRESS>, YEAR. # #, fuzzy msgid "" msgstr "" "Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n" "Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: email@example.com\n" "POT-Creation-Date: 2007-01-30 09:03+0000\n" "PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE\n" "Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>\n" "Language-Team: LANGUAGE <LL@li.org>\n" "MIME-Version: 1.0\n" "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=CHARSET\n" "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\n" "Plural-Forms: nplurals=INTEGER; plural=EXPRESSION;\n"
# Spanish translation of Claws Mail. # Copyright (C) 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc. # Ricardo Mones <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 2000-2007. # msgid "" msgstr "" "Project-Id-Version: claws mail\n" "Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: email@example.com\n" "POT-Creation-Date: 2007-01-25 12:17+0100\n" "PO-Revision-Date: 2007-01-25 19:28+0200\n" "Last-Translator: Ricardo Mones <firstname.lastname@example.org>\n" "Language-Team: Ricardo Mones <email@example.com>\n" "MIME-Version: 1.0\n" "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1\n" "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\n" "Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=n != 1;\n"
Consult the gettext manual for the correct Plural-Forms entry for your language.
Next you will add your translated strings in the msgstr sections. Again, an example from es.po:
There are some variations to the format which you should be aware of:
- Default hotkeys are indicated by the '_' character:
#: src/account.c:767 msgid " _Set as default account " msgstr " _Establecer como primaria "
- The presence of dynamically-generated text is indicated by the 'c-format' line. The 'c format', (%s, %d, etc.), in your msgstr must match the one used in the msgid:
#: src/account.c:867 #, c-format msgid "Copy of %s" msgstr "Copia de %s"
- Some strings have informational data for translators included in the msgid part, delimited by the '|' character. Their purpose is to indicate the context of the string and they should not appear in your msgstr:
#: src/prefs_msg_colors.c:228 msgid "Tooltip|Pick color for 2nd level text" msgstr "Elejir el color para el texto de segundo nivel"
- Other strings have the informational data included in the comment header, indicated by 'TRANSLATORS: …':
#. TRANSLATORS: 'color %d' refers to the filtering/processing #. rule name and should not be translated #: src/prefs_msg_colors.c:432 src/prefs_msg_colors.c:464 #, c-format msgid "Set label for 'color %d'" msgstr "Establecer la etiqueta para el «color %d»"
- Some strings contain markup, which should be left in place:
#: src/wizard.c:892 msgid "<span weight=\"bold\">Your name:</span>" msgstr "<span weight=\"bold\">Su nombre:</span>"
- Here is an example of Plural-Forms usage:
#: src/inc.c:592 #, c-format msgid "Done (%d message (%s) received)" msgid_plural "Done (%d messages (%s) received)" msgstr "Hecho (%d mensaje (%s) recibido)" msgstr "Hecho (%d mensajes (%s) recibidos)"
Checking your translation for errors (and completeness)
- /usr/bin/msgfmt -c --statistics is.po
Building Claws Mail with your new translation included
For this step you will need to be able to build from CVS, so a full set of development tools is required.
Open the file configure.ac in your text editor and locate the line that begins with 'ALL_LINGUAS=', then add your language to the list of languages.
Then run ./autogen.sh [OPTIONS], make, make install as usual.
Updating your translation
When it is time to update your translation, first update your CVS working directory. Then do the following:
- cd po
- rm claws-mail.pot
- make claws-mail.pot
Next issue the following command to update your po file:
- /usr/bin/msgmerge --update is.po claws-mail.pot
Then open your file and locate the strings that need updating. These will have an empty msgstr or will be marked 'fuzzy':
#: src/mainwindow.c:838 src/messageview.c:332 #, fuzzy msgid "/_Tools/List _URLs..." msgstr "/_Herramientas/Exportar _HTML..."
Correct the msgstr and remove the line '#, fuzzy'.
Obsolete entries will have been moved to the end of the file and have the following format:
#~ msgid "Really quit?" #~ msgstr "Salir realmente?"
The obsolete entries can be removed.